Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Being a teacher, we are required to make sure the students understand each concept. If they do not, then it, unfortunately, falls upon us and makes us look like we have no idea what we are doing. This chapter is named "Designing Lessons and Developing Curriculum with Technology". Thankfully, we have technology to help us teach lessons and to make it easier for students to understand what is being taught.

While I was reading through the chapter, the learning assessment discussion popped out to me. A learning assessment occurs before, during, and after teaching lessons and it enables the teacher to evaluate the student's knowledge, understanding, and performance. A good learning assessment would be finishing the lesson and summarizing what was just taught and maybe a short quiz or something to test their knowledge on what was just taught.

https://www.123rf.com/photo_8537829_stock-of-a-classroom.html


Another section that was interesting was the standards-based assessment test. This test is a standard test (hence the name) in which the students are expected to know in order to enter each grade level. When I was in school, I went to a private school all 12 years, we had to take the SAT at the end of each year which basically showed what we knew and learned from the end of each year. I don't really think it is fair, though. For instance, I am an awful test taker and I get super nervous so for me to go into a testing room knowing that this test could make or break me passing and moving on to the next grade level, it scares me! I would rather write an essay or something a little less nerve wracking. I also do not think that one test can clarify a student's knowledge.

The last section that was interesting to me was the student performance rubrics. Coming into college, I realized how important rubrics are. In high school, the teachers would go into detail about what exactly we needed to write on, test on, study, etc. In college, the teachers just give you a rubric and expect you to know and expand on what is supposed to be done. I enjoy this way better because it challenges me and forces me to pinpoint what I think is important in the lesson and what I think needs to be studied and expanded on.



Maloy, Robert, Verock-O’Loughlin,Ruth-Ellen, Edwards, Sharon A., and Woolf, Beverly Park (2013). Transforming Learning with New Technologies. 2nd Edition. Boston, MA: Pearson Education, Inc.

Irvello, J. (2017, March 16). Aristotle - A Haiku Deck by Julia Irvello. Retrieved March 17, 2017, from https://haikudeck.com/p/076430d80f

No comments:

Post a Comment